23/04/2011

The C Word

Picture from http://flanaxusa.wordpress.com/
I had a phone call from my dad on Friday evening telling me that they'd found out on Friday that his wife has breast cancer.

I don't have a particularly good relationship with her - I've never really liked her, she drinks too much and she's aggressive with it - but my dad loves her and she seems to make him happy and that's the most important thing.

So, I was quite surprised to find that I ended up getting quite upset about it all, really. I think maybe because it's my dad's wife, and I know that he'll be struggling with it all, but also because the only other person I've ever known with cancer was my uncle, and he died within a year of diagnosis.

On the positive side, though, they've caught hers really early from a routine mammogram. At the moment it's 1cm long, and she's booked in for day surgery on May 18th to have it removed. After that, they'll see what the best course of action is...

No comments:

Post a Comment