04/09/2011

Wedding Dress Shopping

My friend, L, gets married next September.

I'm so excited for her, but she was getting super stressed about the dress. She's quite fuller figured, and worried that she wouldn't be able to find a dress that she liked and that looked nice.

So, I convinced her to go wedding dress shopping to see what she could find. It wasn't about finding THE dress, it was about finding A dress for now, so that she knew there was a "back up plan" for if she doesn't lose the weight she wants to lose before buying THE dress.

As I was on my way to meet her, I had a flashback to the day my mum and I went shopping for my dress. I've written about my dress before, of course, I've never really thought about the day I went shopping.

Like L, when I went wit mum the first time it was about finding A dress, not THE dress. My plan had been to have Mr B's mum with us when we went in search of THE dress, but that's not quite how it worked out.

My dress was the second one that I tried on. Although I knew deep down it was THE dress, I spent the rest of the day worrying about it. I cried over lunch with my mum because I was convinced I'd made my decision too soon. (1st shop, 2nd dress - that's scarily quick, right!?). But, by the time I'd left the second shop that afternoon, nothing was comparing to THE dress.

I had to convince myself a little bit that it was ok to have made such a massive decision so quickly.

And L has had pretty much the same experience. She's found her dress when she didn't expect to. It's everything she thought she DIDN'T want, but it looked lush, and she's super happy with it.

I, on the other hand, am very jealous of her, being at the beginning of her wedding journey when I'm 2 years away from mine.

I'd do it all over again if I had a chance, and I wouldn't change a thing.

1 comment:

  1. My wedding dress was the first, and only, one i tried on!

    ReplyDelete