01/08/2011

The Love of my Life

Thanks to the SITS website, I found Sarah Ruth's blog today. I read her post about her wonderful hubby, and was inspired to tell you all a bit more about the man I call mine.

We "met" 10 years ago this month. Our first contact was via a mutual friend - the internet - in a chat room. It started off as a few words exchanged (if I'm honest, there was a bit of flirting there, too!).

When we first started chatting he told me he was 26 - 9 years older than me, which didn't worry me too much. I didn't see that it was an issue - nothing was going to happen, he was just someone I was talking to online to pass the time when I should've been doing college work.

It soon became apparent, though, that things were a bit more serious than that. That's when he decided that he should fess up about his REAL age. It turned out that he was 30, while I was 17. That put a bit of a spanner in the works, and I told him that I needed to think about what that meant.

We had no contact for a few days, and that's when I realised I didn't care how old he was - I missed him when we weren't in touch.

We exchanged numbers and email addresses, and chatted almost constantly until we eventually agreed to meet in the November.

I'll be honest - if I'd met him in any other circumstance, I wouldn't have looked twice at him. He was everything that I wasn't attracted to - older, receding hairline, not much fashion sense, short and stocky (at the time I was really into tall and lanky!). But, he stole my heart. There's a song by Savage Garden with the line "I knew I loved you before I met you", and that's how I've always felt about him.

We were a "secret" couple for 12 months - one of my friends knew about us, but that was all. We felt that the distance (120 miles), the age gap (13 years, in the end) and the fact that we met online were enough reasons for people to tell us that it'd never work, and we wanted to be sure that we could prove them wrong before we went public.

I told my mum two days after our 1st anniversary. To say she was disappointed that I'd lied to her was an understatement, but she got over it.

It was lovely to be able to talk about him, introduce him to my friends, be a proper couple.

We went to New York for my 21st birthday, in March 2005, and he proposed on our last night there. 4 months later we bought our house, and a month later we moved in. Considering the longest we'd ever spent together was a week on holiday, it was a bit of a shock to the system, but we coped.

On the 7th November this year we will have been married for two years. The 10th of November this year marks 10 years since we first set eyes on each other.

I can't believe it's been 10 years - it feels like yesterday. I can't imagine my life without him in it, and thank him every day for making me who I am.

He really is my better half.

He's not a big fan of the whole blogging thing,
hence just a few sneaky peeks of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment