02/08/2011

The Joys of PCOS

Ah, one of the joys that affects every single day of my life is unwanted facial or body hair (hirsutism).

I didn't start suffering with facial hair (well, not unless you count a bit of dark hair on my upper lip, which I don't, really), until I came off of the pill at 16/17. Then, it just sprouted.

I didn't really know how to deal with it, but did end up feeling like the bearded lady.

I knew I didn't want to shave it - I felt masculine enough having a hairy chin without shaving it every day - but bleaching it didn't really disguise it, either. And people told me that it wasn't really noticeable, so I tried not to worry too much.

It wasn't until I came back from New York and saw this picture that I realised people were outright lying to me - it WAS noticeable, and I really should do something about it!




That's when I plucked up the courage to start waxing. For me, the most embarrassing part about it was having to ask someone to do it. I was so self conscious that I even had to ask my mum to leave the room while I spoke to the beautician about it.

It was the best thing I ever did. I hadn't realised quite how much it was affecting my day to day life and my self confidence until I wasn't faced with it every time I looked in the mirror.

About three years ago someone recommended laser hair removal to me, so I decided to give it a go. I know it works wonders for some women, and the hair goes completely, but after 14 months and almost £650, it became clear that it wasn't anywhere near working for me.

In fact, almost two years on since I stopped having the treatment, I can honestly say that it's worse now than before I had the laser hair removal. The hair seems thicker and more persistent, it seems to grow quicker, and I DEFINITELY have hair in places I never had hair before (my cheeks are particularly bad now). Instead of waxing once a month, I now have to do it every two weeks, and that's at a push which usually leaves me feeling a bit self conscious for the last couple of days.

The hair elsewhere on my body isn't too bad - although I can shave my underarms almost every day, and my legs every other day, but I don't know whether that's normal or not!

I'm lucky that Mr B doesn't notice. And I honestly believe that. Even when I point it out to him, he struggles to see.

In an ideal world, I'd like to be rid of the hair forever. Or at least that on my face - the rest I can deal with!

I'm not sure that that's ever going to happen though, so for now, I just make do with my wax!

No comments:

Post a Comment