06/02/2011

My Week in France - Part Four

Elton John reckons that Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

Not for me.

As I mentoned, there were 6 of us on the course, and we all bonded really well. It didn't take long though, for them to start telling me off.

On day 2, two of the other attendees, at different points of the day, told me that I apologise too much, and should stop.

I hadn't thought about it, really, but when I did, I realised that I do apologise. A lot. It's almost like it's ann automatic prefix for most of my sentences.

"Sorry. Can I just ask a question?"
"Sorry, but I don't understand..."

One of them said that they thought that, if they ran me over, I'd probably apologise to them for causing damage to their car!

I was banned from apologising for the rest of the course unless I'd actually done something wrong. I asked why it mattered so much.

"You're always apologising for yourself", one of them said, "You're a caring person, and it's like you don't want to disappoint people. Don't worry so much!"

I thought about it a bit more that evening, and maybe they're right. Maybe I am apologising for being me.

And that's something that needs to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment